Sunday, January 10, 2010

Future Stars: Tim Pyznarski





Set: 1987 Topps
Card Number: 429

The first baseball cards I ever bought were 1986 Topps, just before the 1987 cards came out, so the 1987 Topps were the first cards I had in any quantity. The Future Stars caught my 9-year-old eye quickly, and they had a place of honor on the front page of my first book. Bo Jackson was in the top row left, Rafael Palmeiro, top right, and Tim Pyznarski in the top row middle.

Turns out he was the odd man out. Tim was drafted in the first round of the 1981 draft by Oakland, traded to San Diego, made his debut in 1986 and was out of baseball after 15 games. He batted .238 in 42 at bats with no home runs and 11 total bases. He got his cup of coffee though, and his classic wood-grained card still occupies the top row middle in my first book of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment